Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Brian's Breakfast Casserole

I had something at my home this year both for New Years Eve and New Years Day.  NYD I made a brunch and I knew I wanted something extra delicious so I asked my friend Brian for his breakfast casserole recipe that he had made me several times.   My thinking was that there would be plenty of time for resolutions on the 2nd :)  I did change his recipe up a little so I will post his recipe and mine below.  This recipe looks a little challenging as there are several steps and prep work needed.  It wasn't actually that much work and it was well worth it.




Brian's Recipe:
- 1 box/bag of croutons (he has used stuffing mix when he made it for me in the past)
-2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
-4 eggs
-3/4 tsp dry mustard
-3 cups milk (reserve 1/2 cup for soup)
-2 lbs roll sausage
-1 can cream of mushroom soup

The Night Before:
1. Brown Sausage (like hamburger)  - drain well on paper towel
2. Place croutons on bottom of greased casserole dish
3. Top with cheese
4. Place browned sausage on top of cheese
5. Mix eggs, dry mustard, and 2 1/2 cups milk and pour over top of croutons, cheese and sausage mixture in the casserole dish.
6. Refrigerate overnight covered (Also may be frozen for future use)

Day of Use:
1. Combine can of cream of mushroom soup with 1/2 cup milk and pour over top of casserole.
2. Bake at 300 degrees uncovered for 1.5 hours

This is what I did differently:
- I only used half a bag of stuffing (which was really just plain croutons) as there were  A LOT in the bag I bought
- I like sausage but I don't like to be overwhelmed by it so I only used 1 pound of sausage and I used ground sausage meat to make it easier
- I used 6 eggs instead of 4
-the next morning when I woke up I noticed that the croutons didn't seem wet enough so poured another 1/2 cup of milk on the casserole.
- I baked it for 1.5 hours but the mushroom soup was still not browned at all...I left it in the over for maybe another 10 minutes until the soup mixture was more browned and then took the casserole out.

I made two of these and they were gone in minutes!  Super delicious and unfortunately not something I can eat everyday.  This has a real southern taste to it.  A lot of people mentioned that it reminded them of sausage and gravy biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment