I bought a huge block of blue brie cheese at the local farmers market...I have had blue cheese and I have had brie before but never the two together. I decided that this sounded like a really fun combination to make fondue with. My mother had bought me an electric fondue maker and it was just basically just gathering dust in the closet. I took it down, brushed it off and made the following recipe:
Everything waiting to get started
Ingredients for fondue:
-1 lb of blue brie cheese, rind cut off and cut into cubes
-2 tsp cornstarch or flour
-1 yellow onion finely diced-2 tbsp olive oil
- one clove garlic minced
-1/2 teaspoon dried chives
-1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
-3/4 cup dry white wine
-salt and pepper to taste- I added 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Bread, grapes, carrots, tomatoes, apples (granny smith is especially good with cheese fondue!)
I had yellow carrots, yellow tomatoes, gala apples, black grapes, pepperoni and the only bread I had- some nan broken up into bite size pieces
***make sure you have all ingredients ready before you begin1. turn electric fondue pot on to medium-high heat
2. pour in 2 tbsp olive oil and heat for a few moments
3. toss onions and garlic into pot and cook for about one minute
4. add wine and chives and heat to boiling
5. while oil is heating mix cheeses with cornstarch/flour
6. when wine is boiling reduce heat to low-medium
7. begin to slowly add cheese...wait for cheese to melt and mix before adding more...continue to add cheese until it is all disolved
8. season with salt and pepper and mix
Dip items of your choice into fondue...leave fondue on low-medium heat when serving...enjoy!
Apples and fondue...granny smith is much better....
For my first attempt at fondue I am really happy with how it turned out...I will definitely make it again!