Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mongolian Beef:

I recommend Lee Kum Kee Mongolian Beef Sauce. Actually, I recommend all of the Lee Kum Kee Sauce mixes. If you don’t feel comfortable making a sauce yourself or picking ingredients to add to a dish but want some home cooked Chinese food, Lee Kum Kee is a great choice. When I first began cooking for myself in college I would pick up a bottle or sauce packet and just follow the recipe on the package. It would always come out great. They even have single serving size packets of sauce. You can find them in any asian market and now a lot of chain grocery stores are starting to carry their products in the ethic aisle. A lot of their sauces are certified kosher as well. I promise these are authentic, I actually heard about them from a Taiwanese girl and my Chinese friend loved the black bean sauce so much he took some packets home to China to cook for his parents!
For this recipe you would use the Mongolian beef sauce:



Like I said I used to just follow the recipe on the back of the packet but it only gets better the more you add to it!



Other ingredients:



-1 onion sliced into long strips
-bell pepper, red or green diced
-one bunch scallions, white part chopped and green parts sliced into long pieces
-2 cloves garlic minced
-1 teaspoon ginger minced
-1/4 of a poblano pepper diced
-strip steak (the kind used for charrassco) sliced into long strips – if you aren’t big on steak then chicken tastes just as good
- a couple of pinches of crushed red pepper (optional – go for it if you like some heat, this is a mild sauce)
-olive oil for frying

1. Fry steak and garlic in olive oil until cooked through, if using the strip steak this shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes



2. add ginger, onion, bell pepper and poblano pepper and fry until onions are translucent



3. add sauce, crushed red pepper and scallions and simmer for a 5 minutes

Eat up with some jasmine rice – yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment